Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Vanity Revival Underway...




I've scraped, sanded, filled and painted some....  After scraping off the old chipped and bubbling walnut veneer on top of the vanity, there were quite a few deep scrapes, cracks and wood imperfections underneath.  I filled the worst of them, and sanded again, but decided after more filling and sanding - that I would leave the enormous amount of imperfections remaining, as I thought it would show the character of this old piece, and the fact that it's clearly been "around the block" a few times.  I think it may have found it's final resting place with me :¬)  I thought of perhaps having a piece of glass cut to fit on the top... I'll look into that.  Tomorrow I will most likely arrange for a mirror to be cut to fit the mirror frame.  I'm so excited.  It needs one or two more coats of paint, and new knobs put on.   Some beautiful decorations on top and voila... Now I only need to find the perfect chair or stool for it!  More photos soon!

1 comment:

  1. Very neat! I've always wanted an old vanity like that. I can't wait to see your's when it's done! We're on the look out for an antique dining table and chairs right now. And possibly an antique chair that will look good with our couch. By the way, I'll ask Oliver to e-mail you with instructions on downloading the 'Emma' mini-series :)

    ReplyDelete