Friday, August 12, 2011

My poor boy!

Faithful Simba keeping watch over his brother!

Poor Monarch, day 2 of his "possibly injured Gastrocnemius Tendon" just above his hock... I'm hoping the vet's diagnosis is "exaggerated"! I found Monarch in between night shifts out in the pasture with a hock swollen to twice it's normal size, a very small puncture wound to the outer aspect of his upper hock and completely lame! A vet visit later..... some new care! Every night he gets a comfy new bed of straw, feed and water. He gets a daily I.M. injection of Excenel (antibiotic), his puncture wound flushed with diluted betadine, and at least twice daily a new charcoal poultice to his wound. I also hose his hock and leg down with cold water for at least 20 mins. per day now. Initially it was a lot more often. He also gets some "Bute" to help with pain if he's showing signs of it. He has been an absolute doll for his care. I don't even have to halter him. He stands perfectly still while I jab him in the neck, or wrap his leg with dressings. He wraps his head and neck around me as if to say "thank you". Monarch is such a lovely horse!!!!!! I love him.

Poor sweetie... obviously in discomfort here. He's MUCH better now.

UPDATE! Day 4: Monarch is weight bearing on his leg and during the day is out in our smallish winter paddock. I can hardly believe how he's using his hind leg already - much sooner than I expected! I'm really feeling hopeful ****! His swelling is WAY down... things are looking better for sure. After the devastating news.... Oh I hope..........

No comments:

Post a Comment